Some of the links on the Website may be "affiliate links". This means if you click on the link and sign up or purchase an item, I may receive an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Please check Disclaimer for more info.
Link or Connect 123-Reg Domain To a 3rd-party Website
There are two sets of instructions to complete to redirect or connect your 123-Reg domain name to your 3rd-party website.
The first one is by adding DNS records such as A or CNAME and the other is by pointing the domain to your web host’s name servers.
This domain mapping process varies depending who’s hosting your website, so you need to contact your web host provider to know which method to use.
Once you already have the DNS records or Name servers of your web host, follow the instructions below.
Pointing Domain to Name servers
- Log in to your 123 Reg control panel.
- Have a look in the Domains section. Select your domain name using the drop-down menu and then click on the Manage button.
- If you are changing a top level domain i.e. .com, .net etc, you will need to unlock the domain name first. This can be done by selecting the Manage Domain Locking option and clicking on the Unlock domain link. Once the domain has been unlocked click on the Back to Control Panel link.
Select the Change Nameservers option.
Enter your nameserver records into the relevant boxes. If the IP addresses are required you will be asked for these as well.
Click on the Change Nameservers (DNS) button.
- You can now change your Nameservers. Click the Update button to complete the process.
Pointing by DNS (A or CNAME or both)
- Login to your 123 Reg control panel. In the Domain names section, select the relevant domain name in the drop-down list and click on the Manage button.
- Scroll down to the Advanced Domain Settings section and click on the Manage DNS (A, MX, CNAME, TXT) link.
- Click on the Advanced DNS tab.
- Select A or CNAME from the Type drop down list, depending on what your web host advised you to add.
- In the Hostname field enter www or @ symbol.
In the Destination address field enter the IP address or destination the domain will point to.
Please note: You can point the root domain (example.com) by using the @ symbol instead of www. This means that people can enter example.com into their browser and be directed to your IP address, whereas entering www will mean that the user will have to enter www.example.com.
In many cases, both records are used, meaning that the user can enter either www.example.com or just example.com
- Click on the Add new entry button to save the new record.
Note: If this record is to replace an existing record you can delete the original record by pressing the delete button.
DNS propagation delay
Once you’re done adding the necessary DNS records or pointing your domain to Name servers, you may need to wait some time for the DNS changes to kick in. This propagation delay may take anywhere between few minutes to 72 hours.
Given that your domain has already been setup through your web host provider, you’re all set.Back to top